Monday, September 1, 2008

Why is Palin's daughter's pregnancy such a huge deal?

Ok, I understand why it is a big deal, but my question is really why is it such a huge deal to the media? They really seem to be the party pushing the story of Sarah Palin's 17 year old daughter Bristol Palin's pregnancy, not the democrats or any other. Is this not the same media who paid millions earlier this year for pictures of Jamie Lynn Spears and her baby? I definitely sensed no shameful tone in the coverage of her pregnancy like the tone I have sensed in all of the media coverage of Palin's pregnancy thus far.

I have heard the argument made that this personal family issue is legitimate national news because of Sarah Palin's opposition to pre-marital sex. Seriously? If this is true then I dare say every single politician in Washington with children has become suddenly uneasy. This is because teenagers make many, many mistakes and bad choices. These are some of the things that make them teenagers and why we hold minors to a different standard than we do adults. How many politicians have had children arrested for drug possession or use? Too many to name and I am pretty sure all of their parents oppose illegal drug use, at least publicly. I don't remember any of these officials and their children being called to task on these. They are almost always dismissed, and correctly so, with the request that these remain private family matters. What is different here? Sphere: Related Content

No comments: