Wednesday, July 23, 2008

La La has a secret??

According to The Birmingham News, Larry Langford has a secret he is calling his "Birmingham Survival Kit." It took great self-restraint to not make just one of the many jokes that immediately came to mind when I think about any "secret" La La may have, but I only have so much time in my day. Apparently, this secret has something to do with Langford's new plan to pay for streetcars, scholarships and a dome stadium without raising any more taxes or going to the bond market. I guess I can see one positive in this plan - Langford may actually realize that Birmingham cannot afford these initiatives he continues to propose.

This must be one heck of a "survival kit" if it will allow the city to pay for all of these items without raising taxes or using the bond market. I am almost scared to find out what this secret is for many reasons, but I think the fact that Langford even mentions the bond market as a financial option for this city may be the most frightening. I guess he's forgotten the SEC complaint currently pending against him and others for their past dealings in the bond market. There is a really good article by Joe Mysak that explains the issues involved in huge ball of wax much better than I can. You can read that piece HERE.

You can check out the story regarding La La's secret HERE. I am sure I will be updating this story very soon with details of the secret. I can't wait....... Sphere: Related Content

No comments: