Monday, July 14, 2008

MLB All-Star Game & HR Derby

I am actually excited about watching the HR Derby tonight and the MLB All-Star game tomorrow night for the first time in many years, probably since I was a kid. I am a child of the 80's (not born in the 80's, but 3 years shy, do the math). I grew up playing tee-ball, later softball, and one of my favorite hobbies was collecting baseball cards. I LOVED baseball cards, actually still do, and I loved the game as well. I guess you can lump me into the group of fans who was totally turned off to baseball for many years because of the steroid era. To me, it was a total disregard to the game that was once considered "America's Game." I know that sounds totally cheesy and I can't really offer a great explanation for what I mean by this, but I think most people who grew up competing in team sports understand what I mean. Maybe my age had some affect on my feelings, but it was just a feeling of general disappointment in all things baseball. I will also admit that I can see how steroids spread like wildfire in baseball and the reason so many players who were/are otherwise "clean-cut" chose to use. That doesn't mean that I condone what they did, only that I understand and recognize the many pressures from all directions that led to many players deciding to use. No matter what, I stayed away from the game in a true fan sense for many years until last season and it feels good to be back!!!

It feels good to be back watching a game that is played by guys who look like baseball players, not WWE wrestlers. It feels good to watch a game that is played by guys who all appear to be on a relatively level physical playing field. It feels good to watch a game that I can be happy for the kids I see getting player autographs, instead of having a weird feeling that someday the kids may throw the autograph away.

It also feels good to watch a game with a great story like Josh Hamilton's. It feels so good I made a Squidoo lens on Hamilton.....check it out HERE Sphere: Related Content

No comments: